Just to keep everyone updated, Jennifer is taking a hiatus from Thursday 13 so as of now it'll be me and Chloe hosting the new T13 each week. We also plan to schedule the next topics more in advance (weeks at a time) and send out the weekly email 4-6 days in advance...but I want to thank y'all for your patience in the meantime!! :) You're awesome
This week's topic is 13 Things About Your Job (Or Random)
So let's not waste anymore time and get right into it. As some of y'all know, I just recently started my new internship with Michael's corporate office (that's right, the famous craft store that Pinterest lovers adore)...so I figured this week would be a great introduction to talk about my first few days and also for y'all to discuss your own job so we can learn more all about y'all :)
1. My new internship is technically with Michael's corporate office.
2. Although I work at their satellite office for Aaron Brothers in their Merchandising Department.
3. If I put 110% into the next 10 weeks, I could see an offer come through for a full-time position upon graduating in August
4. If that happens, I'll probably become a "Category Management Assistant"...or in other words, an Assistant Buyer. (Think of Rachel from Friends)
5. The different levels of Buyers in Merchandising are Assistant, Associate, and Senior level buyers. The entry-level is Assistant (what I would be qualified for)
6. Yesterday, I had my first vendor meeting...which means that we met with a potential vendor (brand) that we are looking to bring into our stores, so we had the first negotiation talks.
7. Another totally awesome part of my new job is that Michael's offers what is called "Summer Flex Hours", so if you work an extra hour Monday - Thursday you can leave on Friday at noon every week. Holla!!
8. Did I mention that my internship is actually paid? :D Most fashion merchandising students in my department are unable to find a paid-position..and actually, Michael's is THE TOP paying internships in my department!
9. I'm not going to lie you guys, this first week has completely worn me out...it's currently 12:30 am on Wednesday night to get this done before I wake up at 6 to start all over again! I've been on college time for who knows how long, so I usually went to bed at 3am and slept for a good 9 or 10 hours each day...those were the days man.
10. Just in case you're wondering....most companies begin planning their seasons approximately 6 - 18 months in advance. For instance, right now we're prepping the promotions around Black Friday and beginning to plan the 2013 fiscal year. You wouldn't even believe the process that a retailer takes in order to plan and operate each season of merchandise (not to mention the promotions that go into everything!)
11. My current mentor, supervisor (who's the Buyer for Art Supplies and Kids at Aaron Brothers) and even the VP of Merchandising for Aaron Brothers are freakin awesome!! Our VP of Merchandising took the entire team out for lunch on Monday to introduce me to everyone...and she paid of her own pocket. HOW THOUGHT!! <3
12. I'm entirely stoked about this summer internship, not only because of the experience and lessons I'll learn, but because I'll finally be able to pay off my credit cards! :) Now that's something to be excited about! Hah.
13. I could probably go on and on and on about this amazing opportunity, but then how could I share the journey over the next few months? So stay tuned for more updates :) If you're ever curious about the wonderful world of merchandising (retailing) feel free to let me know, or just follow along! I have such a strong passion for my field of work that I want EVERYONE to know :D hehe...even when I know that the Average Joe may find it boring or superfluous.
I'm really excited to learn more about everyone! And I just want to give a huge shout-out to those participating weekly and to everyone just joining in :) As always, if you have any suggestions of topics please feel free to let me or Chloe know! It's always appreciated.